Monday, July 1, 2013

The Weekly Chop for Quick & Easy, Healthy Meals


Do you guys have weekly routines that help you stay on top of household chores, cooking, etc? I do, and I like to call it my "weekly chop." I'm one of those people that gets ravenously hungry at a moment's notice--and that's not good if you want to stay healthy. I end up grabbing chips or string cheese or a handful of chocolate chips when I'm not prepared. So--I do the chop. Not pictured: chopped mushrooms, shredded lettuce, avocados & cucumbers (if you pre-chop, drizzle with lemon), grape tomatoes, and baby spinach (bagged with lemon wedge for freshness).

The variety of vegetables I chop for the week is forever changing, but I have a few staples that I always get ready for the week: White and red onion, a variety of colors of sweet peppers, and smashed/cooked carrots to add to Grady's dog food. Chopping onions is not a favorite activity of mine because I have sensitive eyes, so I like to chop them all at once and be done with it. I get a mini fan, point it at my cutting board and have at it! Veggie wonderfulness for an entire week! They live in our refrigerator in tupperware cases with washi tape labels.

Here are a few of my favorite super easy recipes that you can grab a bunch of pre-chopped veggies and eat quickly (and one to make for your furry friend):

• Scrambled eggs with peppers, baby spinach and fat-free feta (add mushrooms too for a scrambled version of my favorite omelette).
Easy peasy quickie guacamole recipe with red onion.
• Sautéed white onion with meat and veggies of your choice with olive oil and sea salt.
• A bright salad with romaine lettuce, cucumbers, carrots, grape tomatoes, red onion, sweet peppers and tart dried cherries, with a bit of Michelle's homemade vinaigrette dressing.
• Black bean tacos with onions, red peppers, tomatoes and greek yogurt.
• And for the pups with sensitive tummies or food allergies! Smashed carrots with canned rabbit, eggshell calcium and brown rice. (Talk to your vet first, though!)

Blogging tips